6.08.2014

Climbing Walls

Before Bug ever had a diagnosis, I felt like one might be coming. Mother's instinct, maybe. I'm a big reader, so I read articles and stories from and about other parents who went through referrals and tests and diagnoses with their own children already. One thing stuck out to me: every parent, at some point or another, goes through the stages of grief when their child receives a life-changing diagnosis. I knew that, and yet, after diagnois, I had no idea how those stages of grief would affect me - because they affect everyone differently.

You see, I thought I went through them pretty quickly. I thought I was ready to be optimistic and make oodles of positive changes and roll with the punches and not let the difficulties get me down....

But then they did, over and over. Week after week and month after month. And it wasn't until recently, when I felt a definite, remarkable change in my mood and our home environment, that I realized it took me much longer to grieve. To say the months since October have been a roller coaster is an understatement. I've changed and grown in so many ways I can't describe, and those changes and growth are still happening.

I think I'm finally at a point where I can do my best to share some of my changes and growth with you. I've wanted to share for so long, but it just never really felt right until now. Until today, actually.

I've split this post for length, so click on through to read more.




One of the first challenges I struggled with around diagnosis is what we've decided to call at our house "the invisible wall". One book I'm reading (10 Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew) describes this wall much more elegantly than I can:

"[There are] times when the rest of the world seems intent on letting you know that your child is different and apart. Often there's no conscious malice; it happens because the mainstream population is streaming about their business in meanstream fashion, which doesn't or can't include your child."

I felt that invisible wall close in around me every time I heard a toddler use a full sentence; every time I heard people talk about going out to a sit-down meal with their families; every time I saw a child walk up to his mom, give her a kiss, and say "I love you" without prompting. That wall kept me in my house, it kept me from speaking my mind even to family members, and sometimes it felt like it was stifling my every breath.

But it wasn't the wall's fault - it was mine.

With the help of an old/new dear friend, I'm learning that I am in control of the invisible wall. I can choose to get cozy next to it and wish I was on the other side, or I can climb myself over it. It's always going to be there, but I can control how it affects me. Just like a real-life wall, my invisible one is just a thing. There are ways over it, because I have wall-climbing tools at my disposal.

Climbing that wall isn't easy. Sometimes (increasingly more often), the wall seems more like a simple curb that I can step over. But other times, it's foreboding and it takes all I have to decide to try and climb it and meet the people around me on the other side.

One other thing I'm learning is that talking honestly about my life - autism and all - won't make more walls. In fact, it might break some down. One thing that has kept me firmly cozied next to the wall is feeling like I can't talk about all the challenges autism has brought us. I don't want to seem like I'm complaining, or that I want attention. But, autism is entwined in our lives so completely that I feel like I'm not myself if I don't talk about it. It's not all bad things either: autism is teaching us patience, love, faith, optimism, joy, and so many other things I can't yet put into words. I want to share these things.

So, I'm going to. Starting here. I'm not nearly as open and well-articulated in person, but I'll try to start sharing there, too. I'm climbing my invisible wall every day, and hopefully by sharing how I do it, I'll help others climb their walls as well - whatever they may be.

10 comments:

  1. Tears, my dear friend. What a beautiful post, and wonderful outlook you have. I love you, you are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't thank you enough, sweet lady.

      Delete
  2. Inspiring analogy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found your way over to our little blog.

      -Bug's Mom

      Delete
  3. This is so true and I am in the denial stage right now! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are so many of us who know just how you feel right now. Don't be afraid to reach out as you work through this tough time.

      -Bug's Mom

      Delete
  4. I think life is all about climbing walls, as you expressed beautifully. The Lord knows what He's doing with us: how to refine us, how to increase our faith and empathy and charity for mankind. I love how the Lord is carving even more depth in your already beautiful soul. Hugs to you and your dear, dear son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly, I have a situation I want to share with you. My son and daughter-in-law live in Salt Lake with two boys ages three and one. The oldest was diagnosed with Autism this past year. Today I went to see a new Doctor at the Cancer Center and found I have an illness that could become cancer. I was googling some of my symptoms and saw something on Autism and it lead me to your blog. It is so much more interesting to concentrate on someone else's problems than your own, so I've read most of your blog and it is just now I realize I've read nearly all night. Ironically my daughter-in-law is named Molly too, which makes me feel like I have some connection with your family, because the similarities with your family are nearly unbelievable. I will share your blog with them and maybe they can share their situation with you. I always pray for them and their little boy and will remember your family in my prayers also. I will check back here often as I am so very interested in learning more about Autism, and how you deal with the joy and challenges it brings to your family. I almost feel as if we have a real connection, so I please write when you are able. I wish your family the very best as you deal with the blessings of this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed reading. Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete