1.06.2014

Lessons from a Meltdown

One of the first things you quickly learn about a toddler with autism is that sometimes they go beyond the realm of tantrums into a Meltdown. Yes, capital M Meltdown. We saw these before we ever had a diagnosis, but didn't have a name or explanation for them.

The basics: toddlers often have tantrums, we all know them: the child doesn't get his/her way, and starts yelling/screaming/kicking/whatever it takes to try to manipulate the parent into a desired outcome. The key here is that the (neurotypical) toddler knows what he/she is doing. The toddler is actively trying to change things. A toddler with autism may start with a tantrum, but eventually gets to a point of no return where it's not even about a desired outcome anymore. He/she loses conscious control of the situation. Read a better explanation of a Meltdown here 

Today's Meltdown: Bug wanted yogurt. We were out. He still wanted yogurt. I made some suggestions, none of which were yogurt, and therefore were not acceptable. I could sense the impending Meltdown, so I tried to redirect, but Bear started crying and I think that's where we crossed the line. Goodbye event horizon, hello black hole.

Bug's choice of calming behavior during a meltdown is chewing on his fingers. Not biting his nails, not nibbling on the tips, but sticking as much of his hand as he can in his mouth and chewing like it's a snack. Obviously, we don't like this very much and it hurts him. 

So, the Meltdown has commenced, and with it, the hand chewing. I tried giving him other sensory input: rubbing his hands, soothing noises, massage, offering his chewy tube...nothing was working. The unfortunate reality is that the best you can do during a Meltdown is minimize damage and wait it out. So I tried to keep him from biting and tried to keep myself from going into Meltdown, too.

I'm not very good at keeping myself from going into a Meltdown. All I can see is my child hurting. Thinking about how scary it must be for him: all his senses are sending unpleasant messages and he doesn't know how to cope, how to escape the neurological barrage. In these moments I often think, "autism has taken over, this isn't Bug", because it's the only thing that keeps me from getting mad at him.

Instead, I get mad at autism. I yell and scream at it in my mind. I demand to know what right it think it has to take over my son and cause him pain. Because the Meltdowns aren't Bug. He's made up of more than sensory issues and communication delays and social deficiencies. He's smart, loving, imaginative, adorable, and my little boy. He's amazing! And I hate that autism can sometimes overshadow those things or keep them hidden from the different people he meets.

But I know Bug wouldn't be Bug without autism. Since the diagnosis, learning more about autism and watching Bear grow up, we are starting to see just how much it's been a part of Bug since birth. I think that's the hardest thing to accept. Sometimes I may hate autism, but it's an integral part of Bug, of our lives, and it isn't going anywhere. If there was a cure for autism, would we take it? No. Because I know that despite the Meltdowns and all the other challenges Bug faces, autism has given him something that I can't yet put into words. I suppose it's like someone being born blind: they don't know what a violin looks like, but they can listen to orchestras and symphonies and maybe even enjoy music in a way that the rest of us can't because we're too busy watching the music being made instead of really listening to it.

That's my daily challenge - trying to enjoy the music, listen to its little nuances, and find ways to be thankful for autism. Because I am beyond thankful for Bug, and autism is a part of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment